Sunday, July 15, 2012

DIY Galaxy Print Sneakers

After my post on DIY tribal print sneakers, I found another pair of the canvas shoes I used-unfortunately, they were a little bit dirty.  I've mentioned Wanelo before, but it is absolutely one of the best sites for inspiration, and one day when I was kicking around the site, I saw at least three different pairs of galaxy print sneakers. My first post on this blog was about galaxy nails, and it's a pattern I really like. Since I have the basic knowledge on how to create it, I thought "I can do that", looking at all those other shoes. And it turns out...


I TOTALLY CAN.  Because I'm just a badass like that. Side note: the above picture is them after a day of wear. This is important because...well, you can find out after the jump! (materials, etc., will be shown)

Okay, so when I got to the fabric paint section of Wal-Mart, I was a little overwhelmed. I couldn't decide for the life of me what would work best, whether that shade of turquoise was the right shade of turquoise...I struggled. After putting everything back, I came home, a defeated DIYer.  A couple of days later I was watching Addams Family Values/cleaning/mostly eating when my mom came into the room with a tote full of acrylic paints she wanted me to store for her and an idea was born. I painted the canvas black, as well as the eyelets, taping off the sole first (didn't really work, I'm a sloppy tape-er apparently). then mixed up the turquoise base, a lavender, and a hot pink. Clearly these can all be purchased, lord knows that acrylic paints come in all the colors, but I was just working with what I had on hand. I then used a makeup sponge to dab on the different colors once the black was dry.


 I didn't exactly wait for them to dry individually before moving on to the next step, and in some places I layered them. After that, I waited for them to all be dry to the touch before I moved on to the most important step: the stars.  Just like in my mani, I like the glitter to have variety and dimension.  I ended up using a few drops of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Celeb City and a few drops of OPI Are You Glistenin'? mixed in with glazing medium, which dries clear, so if you decide to do the same thing I did, don't worry if it's a pale lavender (like mine was) when you brush it on. 


The glitter really won't stand out until the shoes dry either, so don't be disappointed if they're not perfect right away. I did use a fabric marker/permanent marker on the parts of the shoes that weren't canvas, as I imagine acrylic paint would dry hard and be rather uncomfortable rubbing on one's heel. I really wasn't sure whether they would crack as soon as I put them on and walked around a bit, but so far they seem fine...and for $5, I don't really mind if they don't last forever when I'm obsessed with them right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment